The Village of Mariafels, Kries Mies
Mariafels (530 m.- about 1722 feet altitude ), the
southernmost community of the Weseritz district, is
crowded into a geological depression. According to
tradition the name Maria-Fels was given it by three
sisters with the same name. The Czechs called the place
Slavice (after Slavik-ce).
The total community held 69 houses with 325 inhabitants.
Post and railroad station were in Zebau, church and
school in Mariafels, parish and registrar's offices in
Gosolup. The layout included: 693 hectars of which 358
ha. were arable fields, 99 ha. were meadows, 23 ha. were
in willows, 185 ha. in forest and 28 ha. in wetlands,
trafficways, stretches of water and wasteland. Land
register entry 15. The earlier knights of Mariafels as
well as those from Utzin were an offshoot of the noble
Hroznata family. Some from them carried the surname
Vserubec and a branch of that family sprang from
Mariafels. At that time the place already had a parish.
In 1379 Hrdebor, to whom Zebau and the neighboring Gut
of Lebitzen also belonged, sat at Mariafels. In 1405
Chwalo von Utzin was mentioned as lord patron and in
1408 Bawor von Schwanberg and his brother Neustup
became resident in Mariafels. The latter accepted a
spiritual vocation and was the Canon of Wyschehrader.
Bawor von Schwanberg established his own offshoot line
in Mariafels. During the Hussites wars the brothers
Ullrich, Leo and Hrdebor resided in Mariafels. Leo,
known as Vserubec von Mariafels was Utraquist. In
exchange for an obligation to serve on the side of the king
Sigismund in war, Ullrich received a pledge deed which
was posted in Mies in 1421 and prescribed 500 Shock [?]
from the Kladrau monastery's villages at Radlowitz and
Honositz by Staab.
These places were later owned by Leo who left them
[turned them over to] to Wilhelm von Wolfstein. When
Ullrichs wife, Johanka, died in 1427, he took over their
wedding dowry, 200 Shock of property in Trpist. In 1478
Sezema, the owner of the nearby castle of Hradek was
already resident at Mariafels. On June 1, 1523 the
proprietary lord of Mariafels, Nikolaus von Schwanberg-
Triebl, had a quarrel with Georg von Zebau. The subjects
[serfs], Johann Zepnik and a certain Martin, both from
Zebau, rented a farm from another subject in Mariafels
named Ondra Pavlina without getting permission from
the Herrschaft. Nikolaous had the grain from their
fields confiscated and threw the two of them in prison.
In 1544 the three brothers Heinrich, Zdenko and Joachim
von Schwanberg had the dominion Triebl, to which
Mariafels belonged, entered in the national land register.
In 1665 the dominion Triebl and Trpist, with it also
Mariafels, was purchased by Johann Joachim von
Sinzendorf. In 1685, his widow, the countess Maria
Maximiliana, received permission from emperor Leopold
1 to elevate the dominion Triebl-Trpist to a Fideikommiss
for their son.
In the year 1793 the Prince von Sinzendorf sold the
dominion Triebl-Trpist to Johann Lexa von ƒrenthal and
when he died in 1824 his daughter, Johanna, inherited
the dominion. Her son, Johann Lexa von ƒrenthal then
sold it in 1874 with Wolfberg and Mariafels to Elisabeth
countess Kinsky for around 650,000 florinse. From
September, 1879, until after the first World War the
family of Count Wydenbruck held the dominion as their
property. After that time the estates of Triebl and
Mariafels have been the property of the Kubinsky family
The church of St. Laurenz - in Mariafels, is presently
affiliated with the church at Gosolup, but was already
established in 1260 and in 1357 was called an independent
parish. The administrative offices for Triebl are located
in Mariafels. In the church there are grave plaques
inserted into the floor as memorials for officials who
served the dominion. The coat of arms of the counts von
Sinzendorf is held by two angels under a canopy. A
Chronogram [?] with the Count's crown shows the year
1767, which is also inscribed over the main entrance of the
church. One of the two bells bears the year, 1504. In the
cemetery that surrounds the church the grave of the
Oberamtman, Georg Grosam, is found. The small chapel
to the "Sorrowful Mother of God" along the road to
Gosolup was erected by Georg Grosam in 1882.
The school was in Gosolup until 1914 when an Expositor
was elected who made funding for a school in Mariafels
available. After the first World War erected the
community built their own schoolhouse at a cost of 30,000
kc. Since 1924 the school has been independent.
The district highway Weseritz - Mies runs through
Mariafels. The Schloss belonging to the Herschaft
Kubinsky-Trpist and its Meierhof [large farm complex] is
located in the village. The estate has been managed
since 1924 by Lieutenant Colonel D. Hugo Waka and
includes several other farmsteads besides the Meierhof.
There was formerly a criminal court in Mariafels and a
statue of St. Francis was later erected on the site.
This"Flur" is referred to more recently as "Auf der
Fleischbank"[at the slaughterhouse]. Additional fieldnames:
Stäcklacker, towards Gosolup, above and below
the [main] street, in Hüttmendling, at the clay pits, on
the "Trod." In Zuschken, Pernharz the soils of mixed sand
and clay have been taken care of for centuries with
industry and good knowledge of their special attributes
and have delivered high profits to their owners. In 1925
a central water system [plumbing] and electrification
made it possible for the farmers to modernize their
The village lies within a wreath of beautiful orchards, in
which bees also find food. The dominion owned 5 ponds:
The upper pond, the "Wantich" pond, the "pond behind
the village" [Hinterer Dorfteich] the Gosolup pond and
the Branke pond with were fed by the waters of the
Branke brook and served for fish farming. The hunting
districts includes wild preserves and some preserves that
are leased by the community. Community cultural life is
divided among local organizations: The Veterans'
Fellowship, the Volunteer Fire Department, the League
of German Rural Youth, the local farmers, parish and
During the First World War 21 sons of Mariafel fell and
during the Second World War there were 14 fallen and
missing to mourn. Mariafels is the birthplace of the
academic painter Johann Maier, (d.7/9/1840) who
painted a huge image of Mary for the church in Weseritz
at the age of 70. He made a name for himself as a painter
of sacred images.
The inhabitants of Mariafels who were expelled went to
Bavaria, Hesse, and to the Soviet Zone.