Chronicle of the
Village of Neid
(according to Johann Micko)
Many Bohemian villages were destroyed during the Thirty Years War. The village of Neid, located about three kilometers west of Stockau was first established during this period of desolation. Presumably it owes its name to a settler named Neid who originated in Wonischen. According to the "Teilunsvertrag" [partition contract] of 1644 for the Muttersdorf Herrschaft, there were seven settlers in Neid at the time. In 1649 Hans Kaltz was the Richter of Neid. In 1722 Neid had seven inhabited houses. In 1784 it was included with 14 Franzbrunnhütte and the combined places had 19 houses and 175 residents. In 1839, excluding Franzbrunnhütte,
Neid had 19 houses and 134 residents. In 1910 there were 21 houses and 149 residents.
The farmlands owned by the community in 1937 totaled 8. Neid originally belonged to the parish of Muttersdorf. In 1786 it became a part of the Waier parish. The school was also originally in Muttersdorf and after 1789 it was in Waier. A “Winterexpositur" [a sub-parish used only in winter when travel was difficult] was established which became a year-around "Expositur" after ten years.
Franzbrunnhütte, which originally had its school in Haselberg, was later included in the Neid school district and a schoolhouse was built. At that time Nied also became the school for Schnaggenmühl. The volunteer fire department of Neid was founded in 1905. Neid sent 54 men into the First World War among whom seven failed to return.
The place name of Neid was written in former times as "Neydt," "Neudt," or "Neydl." In 1740 it became Neid and it has one distinctive peculiarity: House number 17 (Kalz) is located at the exact point of the “continental divide" of Europe. Thus, at that point the southern part of the Dachrinne flows through the Lohtal into Schwarzach, Naab, Donau and to the Black Sea whilethe northern portion flows quickly to the Weissbachl (the local name of the beginnings of the Radbusa) and then farther into the rivers Beraun, Moldau, Elbe and finally into the North Sea. A community in which such a phenomenon is found is very rare.
Above the village of Neid there is a spring, the Bärnlohbrunnen, with two branches the stronger of which turns south to the Danube and the weaker of which flows north, finding its way to the Radbusa.
In former times the field-names of Neid were: Drachsebene, Brand, Niglawies, Gstiber Lohersteig, Rosstränk, Schmaussenwald, Stuberl and Jungfernschlag. Some family names associated with the village of Neid: Spörl, Wölflbauer, Landkammer, Franzn, Grundler,
Richter, Folger (Folgert), Mages, Köster, Portner.