Our German Bohemian Legacy
Robert J. Paulson
Seeg The village Seeg was situated less than 9 km north of Grafenried in a broad valley with fields and meadows. The name of the village can be traced back to a saw (saw mill) and was attached to the parish, school and community of Grafenried. Land purchases in 1613, 1615 and 1619 were recorded by 6 settlers. The land, however, was not surveyed, due to the 30 year war (1618-1648). Pelkhofer might not even have paid for it. This is what an old document states: "These 8 newly built dwellings, built next to a sawmill, contain 15 Tagwerch Forest to clear into fields (you may want to look up this measurement, it was the area one man and horse could work in one day times 15) which are included in the free-land settlement. This was legally ordered and officially deeded." Georg Gerl sold the mill after 1638. The 6 serfs were sent to him in 1646, but the authorization was given thereafter (meaning that the war was not over until 1648). In 1713 there were 11 settlers in the area, with poor quality meadows and only middle quality housing. They owned 2 mills, 15 oxen, 14 cows, 12 calves, 10 pigs, and harvested 29 wagonloads of first cut hay and 9 wagonloads "grummet" (second cutting later in the year). In 1839 Seeg, which lay on the brook "Forellenbach", had 26 houses with 232 residents, and had 1 Garnbleiche and 3 mills with one Mahlgang , one of these with a pit saw. In 1913 there were 21 scattered houses with 227 residents. In 1939 there were mostly big houses with 249 residents. Middle High German: Sege = saw Garnbleiche: place where yarn was bleached A Mahlgang consists of two millstones. The stone below is fixed, the upper stone is rotating and does the grinding.