Our German Bohemian Legacy
Robert J. Paulson
Unterhütten ( "Untahittn" or ãaf da untan Hittn") is a village with 57 houses anÜd 428 inhabitants located 1 km south of Schwarzach at an altitude of 550 meters above sealevel. According to Micko, in 1739 a glassworks in the Muttersdorf Herrschaft was founded next to the one in Oberhütten. Most likely it produced only pearl glass beads [pearls] known as Paterin or pierced "Glasstengelchen" in a variety of colors because so many of these have been found [in the vicinity]. The glassworks did not operate for very long, and was probably shut down in 1769.
Right after the glassworks was established people began to settle in the area so that by 1741 the village was already there and growing. In 1738 there were already 24 inhabitants on the list of those liable for manorial rents. The village already had a school soon after the establishment of the glassworks and its surrounding residences because there were no others in the vicinity. On December 14, 1760, the school teacher, Anton Schaller, died. In 1761 the Muttersdorf Herrschaft sold the schoolhouse located next to the local smithy . In 1778 a new teacher named Johann Georg Höcher arrived. After that the school must have been transferred to Dianahof.
In 1866 Unterhütten burned down and Baron Beck who resided in Muttersdorf donated the wood to rebuild. In 1879 Kaiser Franz Josef gave 800 Florins (Florentine Gulden) from his private funds towards relief of great need in the community. There were house fires in house number 4 in 1904, number 33 in 1909, in number 2 during 1931 and again in 1933 and in numbers 27 and 28 in 1936. The village was overpopulated and almost all of the houses were built of wood.
Young girls, women and children made lace, the men worked in the forests of northern Bohemia, Bavaria and Saxony and made brooms in the winter. The people were poor but cheerful and industrious. It was a place where folksinging was often heard, in particular on Sunday afternoons. The youth became independent and married at an early age. DurŒing the First World War 75 men from Unterhütten enlisted, most of them into Infantry Regiment number 35 based in Pilsen. During the war the regiment was transferred to Stuhlweissenburg in Hungary. Near the end of the war the regiment was stationed in Herrnager in Carinthia.
The older men were in the 7th Landwehr [militia, national guard] in Eger and later were transferred to Rumburg. Individual soldiers served in Cavalry Regiment No. 2 in Dobrzan. During the First World War, 13 men were killed in action. They were: Josef Müller Nr. 1 1, Josef Gobernatz Nr. 32, Josef Paa Nr. 6, Michl Vogl Nr. 19, Johann Mages Nr. 22, Karl Paa Nr. 24, Adolf Meisinger Nr. 28, Franz Paa Nr. 32, Paul Mages Nr. 35, Josef Portner Nr. 35, Georg Kirsch Nr. 45, Josef Wild Nr. 45 and the schoolteacher, Georg Maurer, Nr. 34.
In 1930 a Czech school was also set up in Unterhütte. Parents had the option to choose which school but there were certain material incentives given for a child's attendance at the ÝCzech school and as many as 20 children went there. In 1938 the Anschluss caused reorganization of the schools.
Between 1921 and 1937, 27 men from Unterhütte served as soldiers in the Czech army. At the time they were obligated to serve for two years. Men were mustered in at Ronsperg and there was a large recruiting staff stationed there. Eligibility was strictly overseen and in 1926 or 12 men who were examined only one was enlisted. Before the German troops marched into Czechoslovakia the state had called for mobilization but there were not many who answered the call to enlist. Instead most fled to Bavaria. After the Anschluss many Sudetens reported to voluntarily enlist in the German armed forces.
During the Second World War 109 men enlisted among whom 36 became casualties: Erich Axmann (Lehrer) Nr. 40, Franz Baier Nr. 26, Franz Baier Nr. 57, Alois Fleischmann Nr. 52, Franz Gobernatz Nr. 21, Franz Hasl Nr. 57, Eduard Hell (teacher) Nr. 27, Anton Hogen Nr. 29, Franz Hogen Nr. 29, Johann Kirsch Nr. 45, Franz Kirsch Nr. 51, Georg
Kirsch Nr. 38, Josef Kirsch Nr. 11, Rudolf Kirsch Nr. 44, Simon Kirsch Nr. 44, Rudolf Lindl (Lehrer) Nr. 6, Karl Lindl Nr. 17, Franz Markgraf Nr. 47, Rudolf Markgraf Nr. 47, Otto Markgraf Nr. 14, Ludwig Neudenker Nr. 36, Johann Paa Nr. 34, Josef Reiminger Nr. 56, Josef Reiminger Nr. 41, Erwin Reiminger Nr. 21, Martin Reiminger Nr. 53, Franz Vogl Nr. 42, Anton Wild Nr. 13, Ernst Wild Nr. 4, Franz Wild Nr. 32, Johann Wild Nr. 49, Rudolf Wild Nr. 43, Franz Wild (Lehrer) - Neumühle, Otto Wild Nr.- (Neumühle), Franz Wild Nr. 50, und Ernst Wedl Nr. 54.
After the expulsion most of the residents of Unterhütten settled in Schönsee, Stadlern and Bavarian-Schwarzach. All that remains of the former place named Unterhütten is hillside overgrown with wild brushwood.